"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything." - Plato
Through the music curriculum at Melbourne Primary School the children have the opportunity to explore their creativity, engage their imaginations, grow in self-confidence and develop listening skills whilst enjoying hearing, performing and creating music of different genres
The National Curriculum
The National Curriculum for KS1 and KS2 pupils outlines that pupils receive music teaching throughout their schooling. Children in KS1 should be taught to use their voices expressively and creatively through the singing of songs, playing of instruments, by being exposed to a range of high quality music and having the opportunity to experiment with and create their own form of music. KS2 pupils should be taught to sing and play musically with increasing confidence and control. They should develop an understanding of musical composition, organising and manipulating ideas within musical structures and reproducing sounds from aural memory.
Through the teaching of music at Melbourne Primary School we aim to:
- To teach children to perform and compose using a range of instruments and their voices.
- To enable children to listen to a wide range of music and to respond to it.
- To foster enjoyment, enthusiasm and confidence in music.
- To develop cross-curricular links, providing opportunities for music as part of topics and as part of school life.
- To promote music as a subject that enriches the lives of individuals and groups.